Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Over the centuries, the Sword Coast has been shaped by organizations that range from secret societies to grand alliances.
- The Arcane Brotherhood: The Arcane Brotherhood is a mercantile company and wizards’ guild that operates out of the Host Tower of the Arcane in the city of Luskan, north of Neverwinter. The organization is shrouded in mystery, as even its most high-ranking members are unknown.
- The Cult of the Dragon: The Cult of the Dragon has been active in Faerûn for centuries. It has focused on making undead dragons to fulfill a prophecy most of that time, but that may be changing.
- The Emerald Enclave: A far-ranging group that opposes threats to the natural world and helps others survive the many perils of the wild. Members of the Emerald Enclave are spread far and wide, and usually operate in isolation.
- The Flaming Fists: A mercenary company based in the city of Baldur’s Gate on the Sword Coast, where its members have served as the city guards for the past 150 years.
- The Harpers: An old organization that has risen, been shattered, and risen again several times. Its longevity and resilience are largely due to its decentralized, grassroots, secretive nature, and the near-autonomy of many of its members.
- The Lords’ Alliance: A coalition of rulers from cities across Faerûn, who collectively agree that some solidarity is needed to keep evil at bay. The rulers of Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Neverwinter, and other free cities in the region dominate the Alliance.
- The Order of the Gauntlet: Many paladins and clerics of Tyr, Helm, Torm, and Hoar have joined this new organization, seeing it as a way of making common cause against the evils abroad in the world.
- The Red Wizards: Long the rulers of distant Thay, the Red Wizards were much feared by most of Faerûn as slavers, demonologists, and magical experimenters. After a coup brought the lich lord Szass Tam to power in Thay, many Red Wizards fled into exile to plot their return to power.
- The Right Bastards: A small mercenary band of some renown, it was founded over 20 years ago by Markas Shieldheart, the Laughing Hero. The company was all but wiped out defending the village of Karse from two dragons.
- The Zhentarim: The Zhentarim seeks to become omnipresent and inescapable, more wealthy and powerful, and most importantly, untouchable. Everyone should fear to cross them.